Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Ponder over Snapchat

Snapchat is a video messaging application with the function that senders can set a time limit (one to 10 seconds) on how long recipients can view the snaps. I really have no idea why Snapchat became popular in America relying on this one unusual function.

1. Why do people need to set a time limit now that they decide to post the snaps?

I get answers for this question explained by people sending sexting, cheating in tests, and other negative purposes. In a positive way, what are people's purposes on using this function?

2. Can people really hide snaps after the set time?

People can use screenshots, even if Snapchat claims that they will let senders know if recipients take screenshots of their snaps. Moreover, there are many apps to display unopened snaps, such as SnapSpy. More importantly, those hidden snaps are not completely deleted from Snapchat's servers.

3. Why the similar apps with Snapchat are not popluar at all in China?

After Snapchat being popular in America, many similar apps appear and even QQ develop a similar function. But all of them fail to attract Chinese people's interest. Someone says it is because Chinese people prefer chatting to social networks, but Americans are the opposite. Other people think that it is because Chinese people want to keep positive facing their relatives and friends while Americans like to showcase their different sides from their regular life to surprise their friends.

What do you think about them?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thought about the three questions. I just want to add that I am not used to the Snapchat, either. I am like most Chinese people, I rarely use facetime and snapchat because I want to show my perfect look to my friends and family members.

    ReplyDelete