Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Ponder over Yik Yak

It is not uncommon that one day you wake up and then find one word, idea, or app fill up all your world. It attract public's attention and catch on so fast and so widely. Yik Yak is one of them, although I just knew it today from the discussion board of the course. I search it to figure out why Yik Yak is so popular among college students.

1. Yik Yak allows users to anonymously microblog.

This reminds me of the anonymous board on university BBS in China. In China many university has at least one BBS, and on the BBS the anonymous board is always one of the most popular boards. Students and even faculty would speak out freely and find people's most authentic thoughts on the anonymous board.

2. Users of Yik Yak inside the certain radius can post and read other people's “yaks”, and "peek" other Yik Yak community feeds.

I personally have a habit- searching film reviews after watching a film, because I have some thoughts about the film and want to see if others have the same thoughts with me. This kind of curious is not limited to the film. For example, my housing community recently decides to paint some parts (the other parts keep the old gray color) of walls in orange, and I want to complain about it because the part orange makes the apartments weird and ugly. This thing is so small to google. But using Yik Yak might help me find people nearby comment on the same thing.

Yik Yak's main audiences are limited to college students and is also criticized for cyber-bullying. Anyway, it's easy to open a shop but hard to keep it always open. Let's see what will happen to Yik Yak in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment